Required Documentation for Initial Consultation and Court

Required Documents for Filing Bankruptcy

Many documents are required for a court hearing and an in-office consultation with me, bankruptcy attorney Walter Metzen. It is extremely important that you gather all of this paperwork and bring it with you when we discuss your bankruptcy case or go to court on the matter. The trustee will make you come back for another court hearing or may move to dismiss your case if you fail to bring the proper documentation. If you have supplied the below required documents for filing bankruptcy to me already, I will bring them to court for you. Copies of these documents are acceptable for me and for court:

  • Driver’s license or state issued I.D. or Passport
  • Social Security card (or other document with your Social Security number on it)
  • Your tax returns for the last  2 years.
  • 2 monhts most recent pay stubs for a typical pay period
  • Titles for all vehicles that you own, including boats, mobile homes, and motorcycles.
  • If you are leasing a car, you do not have an ownership interest and therefore do not have title (bring the registration).
  • If you cannot find your title, you must go to the Secretary of State and get a duplicate title in time for your court hearing. If you cannot get one in time, you will most definitely have to come back for another hearing.
  • If you own or are buying a house or rental property, you must bring the following list of items.
  • Deed (warranty or quit claim) or land contract
  • Mortgage balance statement (the amount of money you owe)
  • Property tax bill (SEV) that shows assessed value
  • Appraisal if you have one (part of the closing papers)
  • Divorce judgments
  • Pension plan documents if you have a pension of 401K
  • Stock and bond certificates (if you own these items)
  • Bank Statements for the past 2 months

If you have questions or concerns about these documents, please contact me today. I can help you understand the importance of gathering these documents and how to obtain copies if necessary. I look forward to speaking with you about your bankruptcy case.

We are a Debt Relief Agency helping people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Let us help you decide if bankruptcy is right for you.

Documents are REQUIRED FOR COURT HEARING and office consultation.

The Trustee will MAKE YOU COME BACK for another Court hearing or may move to DISMISS your CASE if you fail to bring any of the required documentation. If you have already supplied me with the documents, I WILL BRING THEM TO COURT.

1. PROPER IDENTIFICATION: DRIVER’S LICENSE or State ID and SOCIAL SECURITY CARD (or W2 or Tax Returns or something with your social security # on it.)  You will have to bring your actual Social Security Card to Court with you.  

 2.  CAR TITLES for cars you own or are purchasing-not leasing. (Mobile homes, motorcycles, boats) Find your title(s) and bring them to Court.  The Trustee needs to look at them to verify whether or not the creditor perfected their lien(s).  Go to the Secretary of State if you cannot locate the title and apply for a duplicate.

3.  REAL ESTATE DOCUMENTATION.  BRING A COPY OF YOUR RECORDED DEED (Warranty or Quit Claim), a RECENT MORTGAGE BALANCE STATEMENT and a PROPERTY TAX BILL.  Your DEED should show the LIBER and PAGE # (stamped on DEED).  If you cannot find your DEED, go to your County Treasurers or Registrar of Deeds Office


4.  BRING ALL BILLS, COLLECTION LETTERS, COURT DOCUMENTS, JUDGMENTS. Credit Reports can be pulled in the office of

5.     DIVORCE JUDGMENTS. The Trustee will want to see what you were awarded in your divorce if you were divorced in the last 5 years. Bring a copy of your divorce judgment or decree.

    6.  RECENT PAY-STUB and LAST YEAR’S TAX RETURNS.  The Trustee will want to verify your income.


                       7.  401K and PENSION PLAN STATEMENTS, STOCK CERTIFICATES, BONDS, LIFE INSURANCE POLICIES, Annuity Savings plan statements, etc. 

  COPIES ARE OK!  We will make copies for you in the Office!




Bankruptcy attorney Walter Metzen represents clients throughout Southeast Michigan, including the communities of Detroit, Southfield, Warren, Roseville, Farmington Hills, Ann Arbor, Belleville, Canton, Clinton Township, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Holland, Howell, Lincoln Park, Livonia, Macomb, Northville, Plymouth, Port Huron, Redford, Rochester, Saginaw, Southfield, Sterling Heights, Taylor, Trenton, Troy, Westland, Wyandotte, Ypsilanti, Mount Clemens, Howell, Oakland County, Macomb County, Wayne County, Washtenaw County, Livingston County, and all of the surrounding areas.
 Content Footer

Walter Metzen
645 Griswold, Suite 3156
Penobscot Building
Detroit MI 48226
Map & Directions

Phone:(313) 962-4656
Fax:(313) 962-4241
Email:Contact Us
Board Certified Specialist, American Board of Certification