Required Documents for Filing Bankruptcy
Many documents are required for a court hearing and an in-office consultation with me, bankruptcy attorney Walter Metzen. It is extremely important that you gather all of this paperwork and bring it with you when we discuss your bankruptcy
case or go to court on the matter. The trustee will make you come back
for another court hearing or may move to dismiss your case if you fail
to bring the proper documentation. If you have supplied the below
required documents for filing bankruptcy to me already, I will bring
them to court for you. Copies of these documents are acceptable for me
and for court:
- Driver’s license or state issued I.D. or Passport
- Social Security card (or other document with your Social Security number on it)
- Your tax returns for the last 2 years.
- 2 monhts most recent pay stubs for a typical pay period
- Titles for all vehicles that you own, including boats, mobile homes, and motorcycles.
- If you are leasing a car, you do not have an ownership interest and therefore do not have title
(bring the registration).
you cannot find your title, you must go to the Secretary of State and
get a duplicate title in time for your court hearing. If you cannot get
one in time, you will most definitely have to come back for another
- If you own or are buying a house or rental property, you must bring the following list of items.
- Deed (warranty or quit claim) or land contract
- Mortgage balance statement (the amount of money you owe)
- Property tax bill (SEV) that shows assessed value
- Appraisal if you have one (part of the closing papers)
- Divorce judgments
- Pension plan documents if you have a pension of 401K
- Stock and bond certificates (if you own these items)
- Bank Statements for the past 2 months
If you have questions or concerns about these documents, please contact me
today. I can help you understand the importance of gathering these
documents and how to obtain copies if necessary. I look forward to
speaking with you about your bankruptcy case.
are a Debt Relief Agency helping people file for bankruptcy relief
under the Bankruptcy Code. Let us help you decide if bankruptcy is
right for you.
Documents are REQUIRED FOR COURT HEARING
and office consultation.
The Trustee will MAKE YOU COME BACK for
another Court hearing or may move to DISMISS
your CASE if you fail to bring any of the
required documentation. If you have already
supplied me with the documents, I WILL BRING
THEM TO COURT.
PROPER IDENTIFICATION: DRIVER’S LICENSE
or State ID and SOCIAL SECURITY CARD (or
W2 or Tax Returns or something with your
social security # on it.) You will have to
bring your actual Social Security Card to
Court with you.
CAR TITLES for cars you own or are
(Mobile homes, motorcycles, boats) Find your
title(s) and bring them to Court. The
Trustee needs to look at them to verify
whether or not the creditor perfected their
lien(s). Go to the Secretary of State
if you cannot locate the title and apply for
REAL ESTATE DOCUMENTATION. BRING A COPY
OF YOUR RECORDED DEED (Warranty or Quit
Claim), a RECENT MORTGAGE BALANCE STATEMENT
and a PROPERTY TAX BILL. Your DEED
should show the LIBER and PAGE # (stamped on
DEED). If you cannot find your DEED, go
to your County Treasurers or Registrar of
ALL BILLS, COLLECTION LETTERS, COURT
DOCUMENTS, JUDGMENTS. Credit Reports can be
pulled in the office of
DIVORCE JUDGMENTS. The Trustee will
want to see what you were awarded in your
divorce if you were divorced in the last 5
years. Bring a copy of your divorce judgment
6. RECENT PAY-STUB and LAST YEAR’S TAX
RETURNS. The Trustee will want to
verify your income.
7. 401K and PENSION
PLAN STATEMENTS, STOCK CERTIFICATES, BONDS,
LIFE INSURANCE POLICIES, Annuity Savings
plan statements, etc.
COPIES ARE OK!
We will make copies for you in the Office!